Sen. Vinehout and Rep. Danou Applaud Major Disaster Declaration

Home  »  Front Page  »  Sen. Vinehout and Rep. Danou Applaud Major Disaster Declaration
Oct 26, 2010 No Comments ›› admin

Buffalo, Clark, Jackson, and Trempealeau Counties Eligible for Flood Recovery Aid 
Representative Chris Danou and Senator Kathleen Vinehout applauded the declaration of a major disaster in Western Wisconsin by the Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA). 

Widespread flooding in September caused extensive damage to communities throughout the region.  The determination comes at the request of state and local officials and makes affected communities eligible for flood recovery funds.

“I am pleased to see FEMA responding to our local communities,” said Danou.  “I will continue to work vigorously with my colleagues to ensure the needs of our flood victims are addressed.”

Local officials throughout Buffalo, Clark, Jackson and Trempealeau Counties worked with state and federal officials to assess damage to public infrastructure.  More than $7.42 million in damage across nine counties was verified.

“Our communities were repeatedly hit with heavy rain and flooding this fall which damaged the roads, bridges and infrastructure upon which we all depend,” said Vinehout. 

Under the Public Assistance program, FEMA covers 75% of the repair costs for eligible projects.  The remaining 25% is split between the state and local agencies.  A preliminary damage estimate found $638,150 of damage in Buffalo County; $729,469 in Clark County; $1,724,555 in Jackson County; and $1,987,800 in Trempealeau County.

“We all worked hard to secure this declaration,” said Vinehout.  “Without federal assistance, our communities simply do not have the resources to repair such extensive damage.”


Leave a Reply

Voters for Vinehout

P.O. Box 1274
Eau Claire, WI 54702
608-287-9883
info@kathleenvinehout.org